This Page

has been moved to new address

Experimenting with food before a run

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
5ksandcabernets: Experimenting with food before a run

5ksandcabernets

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Experimenting with food before a run

I usually go out for training runs on an empty stomach and for shorter runs, under 7 miles, I feel fine near the end.
 
But after the El Scorcho disaster, I know I gotta start figuring out how to fuel up on long runs. What works for me. What doesn't.
 
So for this morning's hill course, I thought I'd experiment by drinking an Accelerade shake 20 minutes before the 5.77-mile run. This has 21 carbs, 20 of them sugar, 5 proteins, and a ton of electrolytes.
 
I wanted to see how my body would react to the stuff on a short run before using it during a long run.
 
The early returns? Not bad. I felt strong at the end of the run, which I completed in 45:31. This is the EXACT same time I finished this course last Thursday under similar conditions.
 
But....
 
This morning, my heart rate average for the entire run was 84 percent, with a max of 88 percent near the end.
 
Last week, my heart rate average was 86 percent with a max of 90 near the end.
 
So, perhaps with a little fuel in the tank, I didn't have to work as hard.
 
I've got an 11-miler Saturday and plan to use this stuff an hour into the run.
 
 

3 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I find it really hard to compare performance because there are SO many other factors. What did you do in the days leading up to the run, how much sleep did you get, what did you eat the night before, etc. I'm sure any elite athlete or coach would disagree with my simple plan, but I basically just look to my race morning fuel to a) not get me sick and b) give me some calories.

July 24, 2008 at 1:35 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Laura
I totally agree...though I think its better that I felt better during this run than I did last week than worse....

July 24, 2008 at 4:14 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

My favorite run foods: Clif shok bloks and Lara bars. Shok bloks for 1-2 hours, Lara bars added in for anything over 2 hours. I eat tiny, tiny bites of the Lara bars, but I find they are better than the shok bloks after a whil. I hate gu with a passion.

July 24, 2008 at 5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home