This Page

has been moved to new address

I'm liking the longer runs.

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
5ksandcabernets: I'm liking the longer runs.

5ksandcabernets

Thursday, January 22, 2009

I'm liking the longer runs.

I did 6 miles in 44:30 today and while I'm happy with my speed, I find I'm happier when I slow down and go 8, 10, or even 12 miles on run during the middle of the week. I just feel like I'm accomplishing more, doing my body good to prepare for the marathon.
 
So, yeah, I'm jazzed that I could hold a sub 7:30 pace for six miles while keeping my heart rate below 85 percent maximum for all but three minutes of the run. I'm jazzed about running the last 5k of a 7 mile run on Tuesday in 21:36.
 
But I felt much more of an accomplishment about Wednesday's 10-mile run. It wasn't fast. Or swift, There was not one mile completed in faster than 8 minutes, but at the end, I felt like I could have run 10 more miles. And isnt that what marathon training is about? Training your body to go 26.2. I'm finding out that I like being out there for an hour or more, and I look forward to my 2- to 3-hour long runs on the weekend. It's like I havent even done anything unless I've run double digits for the day.
 
I'm up to 31 miles this week. I've got a 20-miler Saturday, which will put me at 51 for the week, my first 50-mile week since training for White Rock. Im going to take it slow and easy not worry so much about speed. I just wanna feel like I could go another 6.2 miles at the end of the 20-miler Saturday. I wanna feel like my blogging buddies Derek and Ryan, who both run 20-milers as easily as most of us run 10-milers. Ryan, for Christ's sakes, just finishing running a 100k race, and Derek has a 50-miler coming up in a few weeks. Another blogging buddy, Lindsay, raced a half marathon in 1:34 and then raced a marathon the very next day in 4:04 at the Goofy Challenge.
 
So, I may never be crazy enough to do those kinds of things. But, if I can build my endurance, maybe my next marathon won't end in the death march of my previous three.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ryan V. said...

Slow and steady... good stuff... your body will thank you in the long run (pun intended).

I'll be on the corner of Clark and Dorothy during Cowtown with my kiddo to cheer my wife and her sister (and you) on.

January 22, 2009 at 9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the long runs too. I think the hardest part about running 10 miles in the middle of the week is fitting it in before work.

January 22, 2009 at 1:56 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

i like long runs too! mostly so i can (theoretically) tell people "yeah, so, i ran 20 miles today". although i don't do that 'cause i'm not the bragging type nor would most people care to hear that (since they'd be impressed if you said you ran 5 miles). well... and 'cause then i can eat as many calories as i want that day! :)

nice job on your runs - both fast/short and slower/long. i hope these good training runs combine powers for a sweet pr in cowtown!

January 22, 2009 at 9:26 PM  
Blogger J said...

The long runs are nice, it's a great time to really be completely involved with the run. No rushing to finish up or trying to hit a pace.

I am considering my next marathon and wanted to ask your opinion about White Rock. I am interested in running that one because my parents live in Dallas and also the timing would be good for me regarding training. Just wanted to know if you'd recommend it?

January 23, 2009 at 1:05 PM  
Blogger rodney said...

Yeah. I like the longer runs because I can go SLOW and not feel guilty.

January 23, 2009 at 9:38 PM  
Blogger Rich said...

Good luck at Cowtown!

January 25, 2009 at 6:10 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

When training for marathons I liked long runs as well... but if i'm training for anything less short runs are good!

January 26, 2009 at 7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home