This Page

has been moved to new address

A New York minute? I need 90.

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
5ksandcabernets: A New York minute? I need 90.

5ksandcabernets

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A New York minute? I need 90.

I found out the other day that if I run a certain half-marathon time, I'd qualify to run the New York City Marathon this fall.

That certain half-marathon time for me would be 1:30, or a pace of about 6:50 a mile.

Breathe deep. Sigh. Blink.

That pace is slower than my 10k pace, but faster than the pace I held for the last half-marathon I ran, a 1;36 on a hilly course at Lake Benbrook in January.

But I think I can hold 6:50 for 13.1 on the right course, and the Oklahoma City Half Marathon at the end of next month just might be the right course.

So there, I've got something to train for, run a 1:30 half marathon.

It's been 24 days since I ran the Cowtown Marathon, so my legs are more than ready to begin a little training cycle. Today, I went out for a 6-mile run. It was really hot and humid for this time of year (68 degrees, 80 percent humidity). I figured I'd make this a tempo run, just sort of test out the wheels and go as fast as my lungs would let me without racing.

Here are the splits.

1 - 7:50 (warm up)
2  - 6:52
3 - 7:03 (against the wind)
4 - 6:48 (oops, didn't mean to go this fast)
5 - 7:20 (a few hills here)
6 - 6:56

Time: 42:50.
Pace: 7:08.

I felt better during the last mile, perhaps because I knew it was about to be over. By then, my legs were all loose and my breathing had steadied and I thought about running another mile but decided against it. No sense in rushing things.

New York, here I come?

7 Comments:

Blogger Tom Grant said...

Kevin, there are lots of runners and running groups in Austin. Why dont you join one, like the Rouge bunch or the Austin Runners Club. That 1:30 is going to take some effort, and you dont have much time.



Tom

March 24, 2009 at 2:52 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Tom, you are absolutely right about joinging an austin racing club. And I will, problem is, I wont be moving to Austin until after the OKC half marathon. I know that 1:30 is six minutes faster than my PR, but that run was on a course with some wicked wicked (did I say wicked?) hills. But I am running out of time, that's for sure.

March 24, 2009 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

It's a reach, sure - but I'm all for setting goals and sights high.

If the stars align, who knows what might happen? I say go for it Kev.

March 24, 2009 at 5:00 PM  
Blogger Reese said...

I'm not running OKC but I'll be there. Get in touch and let me know where you're staying. I might be able to join you for dinner or lunch. Also, the OKC running club usually has a short run Sat morning with Bill Rodgers downtown.

March 25, 2009 at 8:18 AM  
Blogger  said...

Congrats on your future qualification. You'll do it Kevin. Because I can tell that you'll make it happen.

And its a CRAZY event. Soldier did it before he deployed and said it was the biggest event he's ever done.

Kudos man.

March 25, 2009 at 10:40 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Billy - I'm gonna go for it.

Reese - I will definitely look you up

T - Thanks, and we still need to get that drink. Margaritaville awaits!

March 26, 2009 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

i don't know how you do it. non-stop training! you are intense kev.

you can do it!! a flat/mostly flat course makes a huge difference imo. bought me 6 min in disney anyway.

March 26, 2009 at 4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home