This Page

has been moved to new address

I needed a Sham Wow for this run

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
5ksandcabernets: I needed a Sham Wow for this run

5ksandcabernets

Saturday, May 2, 2009

I needed a Sham Wow for this run

I was going to run 13 miles today. Notice, I said, "was"

Here's why I didn't.

Temp: 73 degrees. Humidity: 82 percent.

Hmm. Those are almost the same conditions as the Oklahoma City Memorial Half marathon I ran last Sunday, save for 25 mph winds.

No winds today. I started off well enough. We had a group doing 10 miles at 7 a.m. So, I got to the meeting place at 6:30 and did three miles in right at 24 minutes. Then I took a GU and we were off for the 10 miler.

The air was thick. My legs felt springy during the first 3 miles. But on the re-start, the springiness was gone, replaced by stiffness and a whiny quad muscle. This route featured two huge hills. If you are from Fort Worth and you know anything about Ranch View Street (or Drive or Blvd - not sure which), then you know that these hills climb and climb and climb.

I was basically doing a 13-minute mile up the first hill and nearly a 17-minute mile up the second one. The humidity just zapped my strength today. Me, Roberto, and a new guy who runs with us were leading the pack of about 25 runners for much of the entire time. By the time we got near TCU, Roberto and I had had enough. Kaput. We stopped, walked and decided to cut the run short by two miles. (Roberto had already run 6 miles before everyone, so ended up with a 14-mile run). I ended up with an 11 mile run. My time was 1:36, for a pace of about 8:40.

Blek&*%$#@

This is the first training run where I've had to stop from tiredness or dehydration since last summer. I took my shirt off midway through the run and was still squeezing water out of it at the end of the run, when Roberto said, "Man, Kevin, looks like somebody keeps pouring water on top of your head."

At this point, I needed a Sham Wow.

6 Comments:

Blogger Run For Life said...

Humidity is so uncomfortable to run in, blah. I bet that was good training for your body though and 11 out of 13 isn't bad! Rehydrate and have a great weekend. :)

May 2, 2009 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

Better than my piddly 2+ miles this morning. In very little humidity might I add.

May 2, 2009 at 1:14 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

11 miles is still pretty solid esp in the heat and humidity. i'm sure you just need to re-adjust to the weather changes again as we all do. and 11 miles is way better than billy's dinky 2. ;)

May 3, 2009 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger  said...

Wow! Yeah, I came back home to this yuckiness. Though I think the rain helped! But it also forced my charity run to cancel this morning. Perhaps I'll bike instead....

Have you moved yet? Or is that what you're doing this weekend? Hope all is well.

May 3, 2009 at 10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's getting humid over in Raleigh, NC too. And embarrassingly, I sweat like a dude (I'm a girl!) and humidity just makes me look worse!

I ran with a small hand towel (a race towel!) Sunday. I hate holding things while I run but I also hate the sweat coming down my eyes...

May 5, 2009 at 1:46 PM  
Anonymous Jess said...

I hear ya. We need to start getting used to it now because we have a loooong summer ahead.

May 5, 2009 at 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home