This Page

has been moved to new address

Running in altitude: My lungs don't like Denver

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
5ksandcabernets: Running in altitude: My lungs don't like Denver

5ksandcabernets

Friday, January 28, 2011

Running in altitude: My lungs don't like Denver

I spent a few mornings in Denver due to a business trip. Made sure I brought my running shoes and trusty Garmin because I wanted to see what it would be like to run at altitude.

Let me say this: It didn't feel good.

On Thursday morning, I ran about 7 miles on this paved trail that runs along Speer St. in Denver's downtown district. It wasnt too cold (mid 30s), so I ran in shorts and a long sleeve technical shirt. My goal, since the entire route was basically flat, was to try to hit cruising speed (7:40s) and hold it.

I was good to be hitting 8:40s. My legs were just dead. I couldn't get any air in my lungs. And then about two miles in I had to go to the restroom in the worst way (thank God the King Sooper grocery store had a nice, clean bathroom).

They say running in altitude is a great way to train, and that eventually you get used to the thin air. But since I was only in altitude for one day, it was sucky. Sucky. Sucky.My pace for the seven miles turned out to be 8:50 min/mile, and I swear it felt like I was running harder than that.

I'm glad I'm back in Austin. I'll take our humidity and warm temps any day. At least I can breathe in them.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home