This Page

has been moved to new address

Kobe v. MJ, fatherhood, and broke ass millionaires

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
5ksandcabernets: Kobe v. MJ, fatherhood, and broke ass millionaires

5ksandcabernets

Monday, June 9, 2008

Kobe v. MJ, fatherhood, and broke ass millionaires

I've been in Austin the last few days visiting Noah and Nancy and swore off running (I've got an achy left arch) and blogging for a few days.

Some ramblings:
*Sirius Satellite radio is the coolest tool for driving. On the way to Austin Saturday, I switched back and forth from Hillary Clinton's concession speech on Sirius 132 to Pete Tong dance music on Sirius 33.

*Are the Lakers gonna even show up? Michael Jordan never found himself in an 0-2 NBA Finals hole. Kobe has nothing on MJ.

*When I ran a 9-miler Saturday (before I decided to rest my arch), it was with a group of about 20 or so people doing the Luke's Locker marathon training in Fort Worth. Most of us were wearing Garmin watches with the GPS satellite dooo-hickys. Anyways, every mile, everybody's watched chirped. We sounded like a bunch of crickets.

*If I doubted it before, Noah knows who I am. As soon as I got in the door, he started that goofy giggle and crawled to me as fast as he could. And every time somebody said, "Where's daddy," he swiveled his head in my direction. That's the coolest thing that has ever happened to me. By. Far.

*Nancy is a great mom.

*During Saturday's run, they had water stations every two miles. It was easy to stay hydrated and I felt surprisingly good during the entire run. And it was 80 degrees. And I had two glasses of Zinfandel the night before.

*I was running 8:20s and 8:15s at the end of that Saturday run. If I can't run a sub 4-hour marathon in December, I never will run one.

*Eating bad food is more a detriment to good running than drinking wine the night before a long run or race.

*How in the friggin world could Ed McMahon blown through so much money? Was he overqualified to enroll in Consumer Credit Counseling? He didn't have a big cardboard Publishers Clearing House check laying around?

*I used to watch Wide World of Sports all the time as a kid. Jim McKay will be missed. Sports journalists like McKay are what made me get in this business in the first place.
Other broadcasters I grew up watching: Curt Gowdy, Vin Scully, Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshire, Al Michaels (Do you believe in Miracles? Yes!), Dick Stockton, Brent Musberger (You are looking live), Brad Sham, Frank Glieber, Vern Lundquist (He used to do Bowling for Dollars), Howard Cosell, Lindsey Nelson, Keith Jackson. And my favorite voice of all time: The late John Facenda of NFL Films. Had the perfect voice. Could read a grocery list and give you goosebumps.

*I predict Noah will be walking before he is a year old. Nancy bought him this push cart walker and he can easily pull himself up and push that thing forward without any assistance.

*I've called my dad so many times on Fathers' Day. It'll be weird to get my first Fathers' Day call Sunday.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home