This Page

has been moved to new address

Me, qualify for Boston? You must be crazy!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
5ksandcabernets: Me, qualify for Boston? You must be crazy!

5ksandcabernets

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Me, qualify for Boston? You must be crazy!

From time to time, I take a look back at my past runs to see how I'm improving (or not improving). If I've been putting together sluggish runs, looking back helps me see if I've had enough rest days, or if I've been running too hard. Looking back also helps me see how I was running on days leading up to races where I PR'd.
 
After this morning's 8-mile run, I decided to look wayyyyyyy back. To Feb. 3, 2008. Boy, how things have changed for me.
 
On Feb. 3, 2008, I ran for 1:05:28, covering 6.55 miles. My average heart rate for the entire run, which was done on a flat trail, was 77.5 percent of my maximum heart rate. My average pace was a 10:00 mile.
 
Today (Feb. 3, 2009), I ran for 1:03:13, covering 8.28 miles. It just so happens that my average heart rate for the entire run was also 77.5 percent of my max heart rate, and this course had hills at the end of Mile 1, 4, and 5. My average pace was 7:38 mile.
 
So, basically doing a run at the same effort, I'm darn near two miles per hour faster.
 
The thing in my head now is this: After today, I felt like I could have run another 8 miles in the same pace, if not faster. Which leads me to this: A 7:38 mile run 26.2 times is a 3:20 marathon, which would qualify me for some big race in the Northeast they call the Boston Marathon. And now I'm thinking this: Should I try to BQ at the Cowtown Marathon on Feb. 28?
 
My answer: Hellllllls No.
 
I need to 1) get through a marathon without cramping, then 2) try to get in under 4 hours. Those will be my primary goals for Cowtown. There will be other marathons to try to qualify for Boston.
 
 

9 Comments:

Blogger Marci said...

You know you could so qualify for Boston... right? You'll rock Cowtown non the less for sure the end of the month!

February 3, 2009 at 1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you continue to improve so quickly, you'll qualify next year for sure!

February 3, 2009 at 3:36 PM  
Blogger Ulyana said...

Yeah, unfortunately, your marathon is decided in the last few miles! You never know though. I ran my first marathon in 3:47 when people, more specifically my coach at the time, thought I would not pull off a 4:20 marathon. Now, I have a 3:30 marathon in me for sure, but can't break that 3:40 qualifying mark. Just do your best, and I hope you surprise yourself! :)

February 3, 2009 at 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's good to start thinking about it. I don't know if "heellll no" is the right answer. More like: let's see how I feel this week and how I'll start the marathon.

I believe you can do it (qualify). And if not cowtown, it won't be long after that you'll hit that mark.

February 3, 2009 at 6:08 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

i think you can definitely bq, but i do kind of think cowtown is too soon after white rock (i think that's the right one?). i have no doubts that you can do it though! your improvement in the past year is great - i love the comparison. you never know when that bq will sneak up on you... i got mine (and a ~17 min pr) in the middle of my training plan in a race i added last minute! run your race, cowtown will be great no matter what.

February 3, 2009 at 9:10 PM  
Blogger  said...

You go Kevin!! That's awesome progress there!

February 3, 2009 at 10:17 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

You never know when your day will come Kev. That being said, I do agree that Cowtown's too soon. But that doesn't mean you don't have a sub-3:20 in ya.

I just think you need a 'stepping stone' type of marathon where you inch closer to your BQ time. I think a 3:39-3:49 is very realistic.

I'm now out for SD obviously, but if you're still thinking about a California marathon: San Francisco my friend. Not as hilly as advertised and plenty of cloud cover. Just throwin' that out there. Again.

February 3, 2009 at 10:37 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

You should definitely come out and run in California-- but I would also put forth the trail possibility. I will not try to tell you it would be a BQing race, but you could definitely get some hills in!

You keep getting faster and faster and faster-- and you really don't have that much racing experience, so if you keep using each race as a learning experience, you'll continue to drop time off your races for a while to come-- of this I am certain.

February 4, 2009 at 6:48 PM  
Blogger Morrissey said...

"There will be other marathons to try to qualify for Boston." Just go with the flow if it happens it will happen. I ran my first with a 3:58 and qualified on my 5th try with a 3:07. We have similar stats on the races so never say never! ;)

February 6, 2009 at 2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home