This Page

has been moved to new address

An open letter to white hair cut establishments

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
5ksandcabernets: An open letter to white hair cut establishments

5ksandcabernets

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

An open letter to white hair cut establishments

To whomever it may concern

Please teach your "hair technicians" how to cut a black man's hair. Please. Pretty please.

I haven't complained/blogged about my difficulties in finding a good hair cut IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD in a while mainly because, for the last half of last year, I found somebody. A 20-something girl name Ashley at Knockouts for Men in Fort Worth had figured out what to do with these naps and every two weeks, she delivered one consistent hair cut after another.

Now, I know what you are saying. You are saying I only went to knockouts because of the scantily clad women that cut hair there. Well, I also went for the free beer they give you. But honestly, it was a last resort. Late last Spring, I had run out of all my options of viable places IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD that could cut a black man's hair. And I didn't want to drive 20 to 30 minutes out of the way to the BLACK NEIGHBORHOOD to get a haircut mainly because gas was close to $4/gallon at the time and getting a haircut at a black barbershop on a Saturday meant I was going to have to wait another 30 to 45 minutes before I could get in the barber's chair.

(By the way, the cutting of a black man's hair is on the minds of many "hair technicians." I know because dozens of people have inadvertently found my blog by googling keywords such as, "how to cut a black man's hair." Try it. You'll see my blog pop up.)

So I ignored any thoughts I had about Knockouts being a place that is demeaning to women, etc, etc, and I walked in. I told Ashley what I needed, and with a few prompts, she did a nice job. So I kept going back. It got to a point that all I had to do was sit in the chair and Ashley knew exactly what I wanted. No arrows or wild cuts. No crazy fades. Just something short with a slight taper.

Well, Ashley got another job cutting hair near her house in Burleson, so that left me looking for a new "hair technician." But I was feeling confident that since one white person did such a good job cutting my hair, any white person could cut my hair.

So last weekend, I'm in Austin. Hadn't had a haircut since, oh, mid January. There is a TGI-Haircutters down the street from where Noah and Nancy live. I walk in. A 40-something year old guy from Oklahoma is my "hair technician" He smells like smoke and his hand is shaking a little bit, but that doesn't necessarily worry me. He actually does a nice job....until he gets to the part where he has to edge up my front and sides.

Arghhhh!#$%^&!! He cuts my hair line too far back on the sides and the front. I cringe when I see what he has done, but its no use complaining. I'll still look silly when I get out of his chair. I pay the $14.95 and even leave him a $2.50 tip.

Oh, well. Everything will grow back soon enough. I just hope I find another "hair technician" soon. Heck, maybe I'll start trying to cut my own hair. This guy did.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Victoria said...

"But I was feeling confident that since one white person did such a good job cutting my hair, any white person could cut my hair."

Are you trying to say all us white people are alike? Ha ha! Just kidding-- but seriously, one white hair technician with skills does not a million other white hair technicians with skills make.

WHEN (not if) you come out the Bay Area for a race, make sure you need a hair cut. Plenty of options in Oakland and Richmond.

February 11, 2009 at 1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin this was a very funny post and I feel for you, I really do. I have never seen the mythical "Knockouts" hair salon but I can imagine it. And many have faced with fear and tripidation the departure of a trusted "hair technician."

I once went into a Black beauty supply place when we were in Tornoto, looking for some clippers. They looked at me pretty strange and didn't seem to have any of the type I wanted. Maybe this was part of the whole Black hair/White hair dichotomy. Anyway, the people at the shop were very polite to me, but in the end I did have to go to Walmart before I found the right clippers.

February 11, 2009 at 3:47 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

Come on down to Burleson, we will treat you right, maybe even get a run in after your hair cut!!

Funny stuff, but I haven't paid for a haircut in 14 years. I think you would look good with the Jordan look!

February 11, 2009 at 3:55 PM  
Blogger Run For Life said...

I had no idea such shops existed, seriously, a beer?! I thought getting offered coffee and tea was good.

One would think that cutting ALL types of hair would be taught at every hair school...but apparently not. Hope you find someone soon!

February 11, 2009 at 4:08 PM  
Blogger fraizerbaz said...

So... where's the photo? :-D

February 11, 2009 at 4:56 PM  
Blogger A Plain Observer said...

Funny post! well not so funny when you are the one on the chair. I have a similar problem. I have "wavy full hair" and the white girls/men in this prominently redneck place can't handle it so I drive 2 hours to NYC and pay a ton of money in tolls and gas so I can get a haircut by a very nice and very flaming gay guy. Today I did and....well, he didn't quite do a good job. But you are right, one thing hair does is grow....

February 11, 2009 at 7:46 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Dude, you have to post a pic of your haircut now. You can't leave us hanging like that!

February 11, 2009 at 8:34 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

You are SOOOOOOOOOO right. In fact, my partner complains about this all the time. She is Puerto Rican and has different hair than most caucasian people. She cannot find a good Spanish stylist anywhere. They need to teach all ethnicities.

Kudos to this post!

And why haven't I found out about your blog mister???

February 12, 2009 at 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home