This Page

has been moved to new address

A running partner to keep me honest

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
5ksandcabernets: A running partner to keep me honest

5ksandcabernets

Saturday, June 27, 2009

A running partner to keep me honest

Long runs are easier when you find someone to run with who runs at about the same pace as you do.

When I was running my long runs too fast, I was sort of a tweener. I was behind the really fast guys, but ahead of the rest of the pack, and so I spent three-fourths of my runs kinda by myself.

Since I'm now running "smarter" I've paired up with this cool guy, Jonathan. He has helped me keep my pace steady. For instance, during Saturday's 14-miler, every mile between 2 and 9 was between 8:27 and 8:35 min/mile. Now that's what I call consistency. (I picked up the pace the last five miles, going from mid 8s to mid 7s for the last five miles)

You'd be surprised (if you didnt already know) how "easy" running is when you run with someone else. Last Thursday, I was just going to do 10 miles. Jonathan was going to do 14. We got started, nice and easy pace, and I felt so good I decided to go four more miles.

Jonathan is on vacation with his wife and kids next week, so I'll have to be disciplined and keep a safe pace on my own.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Jon in Tokyo said...

Good thinking.
All people named "Jonathan" are naturally cool guys!
Run well.

June 27, 2009 at 8:04 PM  
Blogger Sadie J said...

Glad to know you found someone that runs your pace. Renee is that person for me this season and she has been on vacation this week...I've been missing her. Good luck holding yourself back on your own next week without Jonathan :)

June 27, 2009 at 9:20 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

Running partners are the best... running alone sucks!

June 28, 2009 at 1:45 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

I wish I had your problem. I just run slow.

June 28, 2009 at 7:50 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

a running partner is so helpful on long runs, and they definitely help make the time pass faster! glad you found someone who is a good 'fit'. i still don't see why you have such a problem slowing down... it's so easy ;)

June 28, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home