This Page

has been moved to new address

Track workout: Sub 6s

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
5ksandcabernets: Track workout: Sub 6s

5ksandcabernets

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Track workout: Sub 6s

Had my first real track workout in I dont know how long.

We were to run six times around the Austin High track. No stopping. 80 percent effort. 1.5 miles of lung burning, quad spasming fun.

I kind of let the lead pack take off first then just tried to keep them in sight. We were running low 6s for the first four times around the track. I'd say it was just a tick slower than my 5k speed, but it wasn't "comfortable" by any stretch of the imagination.

By the time the we started the sixth and final lap I decided to put it into another gear. Looked at my watch and my pace dipped into the high 5s.

One more lap to go. 200 meters. The final straightaway. Me and another guy from Gilbert's Gazelles pouring all the coals on the fire. Pushing each other.

Done.

The stats: 1.5 miles in 8:50

Pace: 5:53 min/mile

Here are my quarter mile splits

1 - 1:31 (6:02 pace)
2 - 1:33 (6:13 pace)
3 - 1:31 (6:02 pace)
4 - 1:29 (5:55 pace)
5 - 1:27 (5:48 pace)
6 - 1:19 (5:15 pace)

After this workout, we rested for five minutes, then did 12x200 intervals. Even though there was a short rest between each workout, this was harder than the first workout. I guess when you rest then ask your body to sprint, it revolts. I dont have splits for the second workout because my Garmin stopped working. I know I was running sub 6s for each of those 200s. When we were done and had to run the two miles back to the start, I was happy to for the recovery run.

5 Comments:

Blogger Blue Gal said...

I've heard good things about Gilbert's Gazelles. You seem to have found a couple of good running groups.

May 28, 2010 at 5:42 AM  
Blogger Tri-James said...

Way to turn on the speed - You are getting so FAST!

May 28, 2010 at 8:24 AM  
Blogger iJuls said...

Dang that's fast. I love the description "lung burning, quad spasming fun."

May 28, 2010 at 8:32 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Wait, what?, you're a Gazelle now? I musta missed that blog entry ...
Speedy boy, nice :)

May 28, 2010 at 12:38 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

nice kevin! i'm jealous :)

May 29, 2010 at 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home