This Page

has been moved to new address

Life's answers aren't always detailed in the instructions

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
5ksandcabernets: Life's answers aren't always detailed in the instructions

5ksandcabernets

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Life's answers aren't always detailed in the instructions

Noah was sick for much of last week, basically throwing up everything he tried to consume. Some kind of virus going around Austin attacking small children.

Still, by Saturday, Noah was feeling much better and just in time for me to pick him up from his mother. I was just going to have him for a few hours before returning him back to his mom in time for lunch.

Before we took off, here was the conversation I had with Noah's mom:

Noah's mom: "Now don't feed him anything at your apartment because I want to monitor what he eats and dont want him to get sick."

Me: "OK."

Well, a few hours into hanging out, Noah and I are at my apartment and he says, "Daddy, I'm really hungry. Do you have anything for me?"

Well, shit, I'm not gonna starve my kid. So I give him a few crackers and then call his mother and tell her. She's fine with that. But a few minutes later, Noah says, "do you have any turkey for me because these crackers aren't helping my hunger."

Well, of course I had some turkey. Now, I know his mom didnt want me to feed Noah because she worried that the Noah wasnt healthy enough to eat solids. But, hey, when your kid is begging you for food, his stomach must be ok. So I gave him two or three slices of turkey. He devoured the turkey. He didnt get sick.

Great, I thought.

Until I took him to his mother's house. She admonished me for giving him turkey and then speculated that the turkey couldnt have been fresh because itd been in my fridge for about a week (Hey, the expiration date was March 12, and I had tasted the turkey and it seemed fine to me.)

Anyway, like I said, Noah's mom. WAS. NOT. HAPPY. The doctor had told her to start off with clear liquids, then clear foods, then work Noah back up to meats. SLOWLY.

My thought: The right answers aren't always on the back of a medicine box or in a doctors notes.

When your kid is hungry, feed him.

Ok. That is all.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sadie J said...

ooh. I completely understand why that would have made Nancy upset, but I also get your point, too. Ack. Rock and hard place.

March 1, 2011 at 3:33 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

Kevin, I agree with you 100%. I've got 4 kids and when they are hungry it tells me they are feeling a lot better. After taking some crackers and still hungry, I'd have done the same thing you did. Sometimes kids know better than parents when it comes to how they feel.

March 1, 2011 at 5:07 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Sadie... you are sooo right. Rock. Hard place. Had Noah gotten sick again, I woulda felt stupid.....

Derek... Stomachs usually dont lie, so I'm glad Noah's didnt betray him.

March 2, 2011 at 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home