This Page

has been moved to new address

The cookie monster ate my training?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
5ksandcabernets: The cookie monster ate my training?

5ksandcabernets

Thursday, May 22, 2008

The cookie monster ate my training?


Ever since it took me a disappointing 5-plus hours to finish the 2007 White Rock Marathon, I've been trying to figure out what went wrong.
My training? Couldn't be. I ran my first marathon in 2005 in 4 hours, 41 minutes with just one week of at least 40 miles. Last fall, before my taper, six of my last seven weeks were at least 40 miles, which included a 45-mile week and a 50-mile week.
The marathon day weather? In 2005, it started off in the mid 30s and ended near 60. In 2007, it was kinda rainy, kinda windy, overcast, and in the 30s and 40s for most of the run. In other words, it was near perfect long-distance running weather.
And yet with all of that, there was something terribly wrong on Marathon Day 2007. And I knew it by mile 2. I was out of breath when I tried to run faster than a 10 minute mile, even though a month earlier I'd run a 1:52;20 in a half marathon (8:30 pace). My fastest mile at White Rock in 2007 was a 9:39 in mile 8, and THAT took an 80 percent max heart rate. (Wednesday morning I ran 6 miles in an 8:58 pace and my heart rate averaged 77 percent and it was 25 degrees hotter than it was on marathon morning, and I didn't have nearly the long-run base that I did then.
So, if it wasn't my training or the weather, it had to be what I ate in the days leading up to the marathon.
What. Could. It. Be?
Two things, I've determined.
Milk and cookies.
During my marathon training, I had the worst worst worst diarrhea, and it was real bad the morning of the marathon. I've noticed in my diet that when I drink soy milk (it's all I can drink because I am lactose intolerant), and pile on the miles, the problem is worse.
The cookies? I ruled out a lot of things to get to this. Peanut butter. Oatmeal. Thai food (which I love).
In the months after the marathon, the cookies have been the common denominator when I've had a run where my heart rate mysteriously took off and my performance was terrible.
And come to think of it, I had a ton of cookies _ and more specifically, Central Market cookies _ during my marathon training.
Still, I thought nothing of the Central Market cookie-bad performance link until about a month ago. I bought a carton of the Central Market cookies (chocolate chip) and had two the night before a long run. Within an hour, my fingers swelled up a little bit. My stomach was distended with the extra-water weight that I took on. My run the next day was horrible.
Still, I thought it was something else. But the next weekend, I had a few more cookies the night before a long run. Had the same problems. Fingers. Stomach. During the run, I had to stop to walk at mile 9 on a 10-mile run, I put 2 and 2 together.
Something in the Central Market cookies was making me sick and seriously affecting my run. And I know I had some of these cookies the night before my marathon. I was trying to carbo-load.
So what's the dealio? I'm going to do some more research on what's in those cookies (Crack? Damn, they are good). But I am absolutely sure of the culprit.
The Central Market cookie monster.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger J said...

Huh! That's interesting. If they are made with butter and you are lactose intolerant, maybe that is part of the problem? Maybe they are made with LOTS of butter.

Any kind of dairy gives me very bad side stitches when I run. It took me about 3 months to figure that one out.

May 22, 2008 at 7:14 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm still figuring out my diet for the next days (yes, very last minute, I know). Let me know when you get to the bottom of it, but I'm definitely going to avoid cookies in the meantime!

Also, thank you SO much for that link yesterday... very helpful!

May 22, 2008 at 12:38 PM  
Blogger Run For Life said...

It took me a while to figure out I can't have anything milk based either before runs. Unfortunately, I think you're going to have to start eating different cookies - that's a pretty significant adverse reaction!

May 22, 2008 at 10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa...which cookies have you been getting from Central Market? The Central Market closest to us (Southlake) has been carrying Carol's Cookies, which we've been getting once a week, but normally on Sunday, after my long run and with Monday being a day off from running.

I have also had something "interfering" with things, and need to figure out what.

May 23, 2008 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger Ryan V. said...

Weird. And gross. Don't eat any cookies before El Scorcho. Our porta-potties aren't prepared to handle the "the worst worst worst diarrhea."

May 23, 2008 at 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home