This Page

has been moved to new address

A different perspective of the marathon

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
5ksandcabernets: A different perspective of the marathon

5ksandcabernets

Monday, February 16, 2009

A different perspective of the marathon

I've run across the finish line at a marathon three times and am now tapering for my fourth marathon Feb. 28. But last Sunday, I spent an hour or so as a spectator watching the finish line of the Austin Marathon. I got there as the 3:45s were coming through and left as the 5:00s finishers were getting done.

Most everybody I saw was in pretty decent shape. There were a few guys who were walking near the end, muscles seizing up on them and boy, do I know how they must have felt.

Here are a few of the pics I took with my Iphone, some of which I posted on twitter. Twitter? Twitter? If you don't know, now you know. I'm loving Twitter. But that's for another post.

(By the way, I'm in Austin all week covering the legislature for the Star-Telegram. I've got a decent hotel about 5 minutes away from my son, Noah, so I can work, run at Town Lake and wrestle Noah all in one day.)

Ok, here are those marathon finish line photos. Pictures say 1,000 words, so I'll just get out of the way. My only comments are, on the upper right, not everyone walked through the finish line and, lower left, finishers were glad to see the lady handing out the medals.


















Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger A Plain Observer said...

The second pic, the one of a couple embracing reminded me when I stood at the finish of the Philly Marathon before running one myself. I remember a lady at about 4.20 or so going to a woman, apparently her friend and held her hand and said "I'm finishing, I'm finishing a marathon". That did it for me. I decided I wanted to experience that feeling

February 17, 2009 at 3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did the Austin Half! Great weather, lovely race.

February 17, 2009 at 3:34 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

love the pics, looks like a good race! i always mean to go spectate a half/full but... still haven't gotten around to that.

February 17, 2009 at 5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pictures...thanks for taking some and sharing. I love the one where the runners are finishing, and the one guy before the finish has his hands up as "I made it" and the guy on the other side, who looks like he's going to fall back, has the same "I made it" feel.

February 18, 2009 at 6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home