This Page

has been moved to new address

Running myself sick

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
5ksandcabernets: Running myself sick

5ksandcabernets

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Running myself sick

As my weekly mileage has increased, so to have the aches and pains in my body: left heel; both calves; right quad and hip.

I know that if I take it easy and run a lot more slower miles, that pain will subside.

No, what I'm worried about is this physical blahs I've had since last Saturday. Low-grade fever. Chills. Low appetite. They say when you increase your mileage, (and I have gone from 25 miles a week in May to about 35 to 40 miles a week now) the first thing that goes is your immune system.

I feel better when I take a couple of ibuprofen, but 12 hours later the crappy feeling comes back again. I know I need to increase my protein intake, because protein strengthens your immune system. I'm also drinking plenty of fluids, vitamin C, water, etc.

This week, I'm dialing the miles back, resting every other day, eating more protein (in the form of protein shakes), and trying to get 8 hours of sleep.

And if I'm still feeling like this next week, I'm calling a doctor.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Linden said...

Aches and pains? Yes! My hip joints (I don't even know what to call them), right Achilles, ankles, hamstrings. Ugh.

I think I'm avoiding getting sick by sleeping so much. I think I've been getting 10 to 12 hours pretty regularly (minus the one or two odd nights of insomnia :) ) for about two weeks now. Surely that helps.

Get better!

August 21, 2008 at 5:02 AM  
Blogger Victoria said...

Take care of yourself! Sleep!

August 22, 2008 at 12:51 PM  
Blogger A Plain Observer said...

At some point we have to cave in. I have made two appointments for next week to assess my own pains and aches. rest rest rest is what everyone says...does it really work?

August 23, 2008 at 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home