This Page

has been moved to new address

Over-analyzing Cowtown: Can I split a hair three ways?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
5ksandcabernets: Over-analyzing Cowtown: Can I split a hair three ways?

5ksandcabernets

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Over-analyzing Cowtown: Can I split a hair three ways?

I'm back from Austin and already miss the trails there. It's a running town, for sure. Fort Worth, well, let me just say this. When I was taking the exit off the highway to go home, to the right was a guy riding a horse in a field. There may be more horse trails in Fort Worth than jogging trails. And unless you are a Cowboy, that's just sad.

Anyway, as I wrote this post, It was T-minus 5 1/2 days before the Cowtown Marathon. I havent really started tapering yet. In Austin, I ran 35 miles during the week. Not the 50 I was doing during the peak of my marathon training, but I'm still getting in the miles. But this week, I'm definitely going to shut it down until Saturday. When I ran in Austin, it was often in the dark and often on uneven dirt. I tweaked my left knee just a little bit - nothing to be concerned about, but its about time to start resting.

I have not run since a 9-miler Saturday and won't run until Tuesday. I'll do 6 then and 6 Wednesday, then that's it until the marathon.

What will I do in the meantime? Worry. Overanalyze. Over think. If I could split a hair three ways about Saturday's race, I would.

I know. I know. Its not healthy, but its no use. This is what I do during marathon week. I think about pace. About fuel. About the weather. When I got back from Austin Sunday afternoon, I went over my splits from my previous three marathons, breaking it down by looking at the first half of my marathons vs. the second half...

Year............1st half=pace.............2nd half/pace.................% slow down
2008............1:50=8:23..................2:18=10:32...................25 percent slower
2007............2:17=10:32................3:03=13:58...................32 percent slower
2005............2:10=9:58..................2:31=11:32...................24 percent slower

Even though I had a faster time in 2008 (4:08), it appears I ran a "better" race in 2005 (4:41) because I didnt slow down as drastically. As you can see, my marathons give a new meaning to "Negative Split." In my 2007 White Rock Marathon race report, I wrote that the only reason I didn't quit is because I couldnt find a medic. Three hours to run the back half of a marathon? Yeah, that was me.

In the second half of marathons, things have been negative alright. Again, its not because I run out of breath, or because I "hit a wall." All my second half problems have been because of painful cramps caused from, what I now believe, drinking toooooo much water.

But, as I wrote in a post a few weeks back, I think I got this cramping thing figured out. I'll bring my salt packets on the road to Cowtown, and hopefully, I can have the kind of negative split I'm supposed to have.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Billy said...

Something tells me you'll see a dramatic improvement this time around. Marathon training's all trail-and-error and I think you're real close to putting the final piece of the puzzle together.

Just take it easy this week and come race day, just "leave it all out on the field" as they say.

February 23, 2009 at 10:53 AM  
Blogger Run For Life said...

I think it's programmed in runners to worry in the week leading up to a race. You've got solid training and a game plan so just trust yourself.

February 23, 2009 at 1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think any of us are "healthy" the week before a marathon. Too many things to overanalyze!

February 23, 2009 at 2:50 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

funny dude. "the only reason i didn't quit was because i couldn't find a medic." hey, whatever keeps you going! over analyzing is pretty normal just try not to go too far over the edge on us. enjoy a lighter week and remind yourself of all the training you've put in.

February 23, 2009 at 7:55 PM  
Blogger rolf said...

You've been putting in the miles, and with all your prep work you're gonna kick Cowtown's a@#! Best of luck!

PS - We're ditto here with lack of running trails. Plenty of places to trash your monster truck though.

February 23, 2009 at 9:37 PM  
Blogger DawnB said...

good luck kevin, have a great race.

February 23, 2009 at 10:46 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I agree with Billy Burger. It is about trial and error with distance running. I've had luck with the Hammer Endurolyte tabs to keep off impending cramps.

You're going to do great!

February 24, 2009 at 1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home